First Steps, an HHP resource for Integrative Health Students & Clinicians
This HHP resource is students or clinicians (acupuncturists or related integrative health fields) based on the published "First Steps" resourcesEnroll in Course
First Steps is an HHP resource for students or prospective practitioners who are interested in hospital-based practice.
The focus of First Steps is on students of acupuncture programs and clinicians with a master's or doctorate degree in acupuncture and traditional Asian medicine. However, many of the tenets apply to related integrative health clinical fields.
This resource includes the First Steps booklet and workbook. Later in 2021, we are scheduled to record some videos reviewing the First Steps resources with the author. Completed recordings will be posted in this resource.
This resource contains the following
- download-able pdf of the booklet, Get Your Foot in the Door of Hospital Practice: First Steps for the Acupuncturist or Integrative Health Student Interested in Hospital-Based Practice
- download-able pdf of the workbook, Companion Workbook to "Get Your Foot in the Door: First Steps"
- videos of the author presenting material in the above documents (pending)
- coupon code that can be used for other courses in this online school
- some space for discussion
- Defining "Hospital-based Practice":
- in the HHP I define this as any work in a facility or organization that is accredited by or is eligible for accreditation by The Joint Commission (TJC). TJC is a nonprofit quality assurance and safety vetting organization based in the U.S. TJC accredits a variety of organizations, including hospitals, ambulatory centers/facilities, county clinics, FQHCs, federal health facilities, and some hospice organizations.
- Integrative health students who are not in an acupuncture program:
- Please keep in mind my background in this work is primarily as a clinician with training and experience in the integrative health fields of acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese herbal medicine, and therapeutic massage therapy. The focus of the First Steps resource is primarily students and clinicians interested in hospital-based practice who are in or have graduated from an accredited acupuncture program. However, this resource is open to other integrative health clinicians who may be interested in this work and community. Please identify yourself and your interest in the "Introductions" section of this resource. Thank you.
Welcome to this HHP resource!
Access content from this site--a note on email systems
When you create your account, be sure to tell your email system to recognize this site as a "safe/recognized sender" or get in the habit of checking your spam folder for email updates from this group. It is recommended you use a non-work email for this site. Do NOT use a federal email to access this site. Most workplace systems de-prioritize non-workplace emails and automatically block them or send them to a spam/junk folder.
Megan is an Integrative Medicine Practitioner, East Asian Medicine specialty. She is nationally board certified Diplomate of Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) and graduated from Bastyr University in 2006 with a Master of Science in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
She is founder and facilitator of the Hospital-based Practice Handbook Project for East Asian Medicine Practitioners (Acupuncturists) and their Hospital Sponsors.
Her website is: https://www.thehospitalhandbook.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for purchasing this course. Your support (minus processing fees) supports the nonprofit work of the Hospital Handbook Project (HHP).
Please be sure to sign up for the email list for the Hospital Practice Handbook Project if you have not already done so. It is the best way to learn about updates to this course and similar resources available from the HHP. Learn more at our website, www.thehospitalhandbook.com